Saturday, August 30, 2008

Stars and Managing sickness

I'm sorry you're homesick, Fruit Bat- but at least we have each other. I'm not quite as homesick as I thought I would be- probably because I am so antisocial.... -_-; Another, happier reason could be that I'm just viewing my stay here as an extended, labor intensive camp. I know that I'll be going home. And I know from expierence that time slips away from us, so I know I'll be going home soon. What I do miss are all my friends... Those few wonderful people I hung out with throughout High School. But writing this way will only make me depressed.

On to the stars....
Some (or none) of you are probably wondering about my name, Vulpecula. Well, Vulpecula is a constellation, (lit. Little Fox) that appears in the late summer sky, specifically in August, the month I was born. It's not a big, or an old, constellation, it's only three stars, and despite the old-sounding name, was made much more recently.
Another constellation I feel has special importance (right now anyway...) is Ophiuchus, the serpent bearer. He's aparently the thirteenth sign of the zodiac, though there should only be twelve. It's supposed to be, the sun is in such and such constellation in such and such month, and that's where we got the zodiac. But they thought there were only 11, and panicked. So they cut the claws off of Scorpio and called it Libra- which is why Libra is the only constellation that doesn't represent a living thing. But they have recently discovered that the sun does pass through Ophiuchus, so it is a zodiac sign. I'm curious though- does that make Ophiuchus like the cat in the Chinese Zodiac, or would Libra be the cat, because Libra doesn't really belong?
(The point of all this was that my Chemistry teacher wanted to know if any of us knew what Ophiuchus meant, and thanks to my star-study, I did. First question I knew the answer to, I'm still proud.)

1 comment:

squirt said...

Im proud of you too!!!! I cant wait to see you . . . whenever you come home!
♥ squirt ♥